Saturday, March 21, 2015

Dirty 30 Extreme Review - 21 Day Fix Extreme



21 Day Fix Extreme- the latest program from Beachbody - has to be among my all time favorite workouts and programs. The nutrition program is so simple to follow that I feel like I wasted time counting calories on previous programs I've tried. In a previous post, I mentioned how I lost 7inches in 3 weeks with this program. So...maybe that's why I decided to do another round of this program.


I mean, is there anyone out there that actually likes counting calories? I know I sure don't. It makes eating feel like a mathematical equation and math is NOT my cup of tea. And the beauty of this program is just that: you DON'T count calories but instead count colors - the colors of the portion controlled containers, that is. And, if counting calories wasn't something you liked, then I'm sure measuring your food isn't something you enjoy, either. So guess what - you don't have to do that, either with this program because it's already done for you. You just place your food in the appropriate colored portion control container and that's it!! What's not to love about that?!?!

But if you're a 21 Day Fix graduate, you already know this! And there are a few differences between the Fix Extreme and regular Fix, which I've posted below for you.




But let's get down to the tough part: the workouts. I'm sure for those of you who aren't familiar with this program, that is the biggest question. I know it was for me. I saw the infomercial and read up on it but I wondered what it was the workouts really involved - and most of all....was I in shape enough to do them?



I'm not in the greatest shape. Nor do I have a six pack, chiseled abs, or legs of a warrior. I'm just me. I'm far from perfect, by any supermodel standards. I have a ton of excess skin from massive weight loss . My doctor says I have at least 15lbs of skin just on my abdomen alone, so it makes it extra challenging for me to do a push up or hold a plank. I mean, imagine if you had a 15lb dumbbell attached to your belly - would you still be able to do your workouts flawlessly?

I don't mean to sound like I'm complaining. I'm not. I know I'm not perfect and I'm okay with that. It's better than where I used to be and I gladly accept my body and all its imperfections but...I still didn't feel in shape enough. So, that was one of my reasons for doing this program.

With that said, though, I probably wouldn't recommend this program to those who still do push ups on their knees or can't hold a plank as there are a lot of moves that require full push ups and doing things while holding a plank and even the modifications don't go to their knees. But if you're okay with that, then by all means, go for it. I just have a type A personality and know that for myself I would want to be able to do at least what the modification is.


The Workout


Dirty 30 Extreme - your legs and shoulders will be on FIRE after this workout. But that's not all of the muscles that you will work. Like most of the workouts in 21 Day Fix Extreme, Autumn doesn't just workout one group of muscles but at least two. When you squat, you're also working out your shoulders. And when you lunge, you come up for bicep curls.



Like all of the other workouts in this program, Dirty 30 Extreme is 30 minutes in length, with a warm up, cool down, and Autumn's favorite...the bonus round, where she works your abs and shoulders through a plank move. 



Within the first 5 minutes, or rather in the first move, I was sweating and heavy breathing. I definitely felt this workout..but that means it's working, right? How can we expect to get better if we aren't sore from pushing ourselves?



What is needed for this workout?


Water, and heavy, medium and light weights.


Is there floor work?


Yes, in the form of planks.


Is there cardio in this workout?


No, but the exercises will get your heart rate up if you are using the correct amount of weights.


Are there modifications?


Yes, there is someone you can follow for modifications.


Is this a leg day?


Yes but all body parts are worked - abs, back, shoulders, biceps, legs, and more.


Can you do doubles?


It is advised not to do doubles since this is an extreme workout. Otherwise, overtraining might occur which means there is a good chance of injuries.

Are there water breaks?


Yes they last 10 seconds between each move.


Would you recommend this workout? 


Yes! This is one of my favorite programs and routines!


**If you have any other questions, feel free to comment below or send me an e-mail!


If you think this program might be for you, sign up to be a part of my next challenge group and come workout and get fit with others like you! Want to learn more, just fill out the form below and I will be in contact soon (usually the next day)!
Fill out my online form.
Use Wufoo templates to make your own HTML forms.

No comments:

Post a Comment