Thursday, February 26, 2015

Lemon Pepper Green Beans

Green Beans are one of my favorite vegetables! I love the fresh ones instead of frozen as they offer that extra crunchy texture.  I grew up on frozen ones and kind of grew tired of their soft, fluffy nature. (No offense!) And let's face it - I LOVE my crunchy foods! In fact, I'm certain that's why I absolutely have a problem with loving fried foods so much. (Ahh now I'm dreaming of french fries and corn dogs) :/

Anyhow, back to healthy foods as I'd like to keep my newly found waist line and health! As you can tell, I'm a foodie - that hasn't changed since losing weight. So for me, healthy foods have to TASTE good as well as BE good for me. And growing up, microwaved green beans seemed to wear on me - there was no real flavor added, and they seemed a bit mushy, as I mentioned before. So, I had a task for myself: make a vegetable dish that tastes good as well as one that is good for me. 

I stumbled upon fresh cut green beans by accident. A few years ago my husband and I decided to host our very first Thanksgiving and came across freshly cut green beans. I was embarrassed to admit that I never had these before - I didn't have the healthiest childhood growing up and all the vegetables I usually had were frozen. But I went along with it to not embarrass myself. My husband did the shopping and came home with them and I pretended I knew what I was doing. That was the beginning of this recipe. I didn't want to serve my guests boring, flavorless green beans so I basically threw together some spices and prayed that it worked - and it did. Since then, I've added my clean eating twist to it to make it even healthier - and one that we can have all year round and not just on Thanksgiving. I hope you enjoy it as much as my family does - my husband devours it to this day and he is a picky eater when it comes to veggies!





Cooking Time: 25 Minutes
Servings: 6

Ingredients:
1 Pound Green Beans (fresh cut and trimmed is best)
2 Tbsp Canola Oil
1/4 Cup Sliced Almonds
2 Tsp Lemon Pepper Seasoning

Directions:
1. Steam green beans using a steamer with 1 inch of boiling water, covering for about 10 minutes.
2. Drain green beans.
3. Using a skillet, saute Almonds in the Canola Oil over Medium Heat. They are done when they look lightly browned.
4. Add in Green Beans and mix around, coating evenly.
5. Add in Lemon Pepper and coat evenly.

Nutritional Info:

Calories: 81
Fat: 5.9g
Carbs: 6.3g
Protein: 2.3g

No comments:

Post a Comment